Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Music Classroom Organization {BTS Blog Hop}


Happy Back to School!  I hope the beginning of your school year has been fantastic.  Today I am partnering up with a great group of music bloggers for a Back-to-School Music Blog Hop!

This blog hop includes six blog posts about Back-to-School in the music room, from lessons, to organization, to games, and more! To continue on the blog hop, keep clicking the pictures at the end of each post to hop to the next blog!

I just started my 5th year of teaching, and I am so excited to be in a new school.  Previously, I taught at four different elementary schools.  This year, I am at ONE, yes, ONE!  I am still in disbelief that I get to drive to the same school every day.  I was so eager to jump into my new classroom this summer to organize and decorate my one classroom. After spending many hours in my classroom, it is ready!  It is decorated....it is organized....it is ready for music-making!  


Organizing....I LOVE to organize.  From my classroom instruments, to school supplies, to planning, I feel it is important to be organized.  Items need to be easy and convenient to find in order to save time and be efficient.   

Here are my tips for being organized in the music room: 


#1: Label EVERYTHING

In my classroom, I have EVERYTHING labeled! Every cabinet, every instrument, every supply.  Every item has a label.  This not only makes it convenient for myself, but everything is clearly labeled so my students know that each item has their own special place in our classroom.  Here are some pictures of the many labels in my classroom.


My new classroom features wall-to-wall cabinets.  This is perfect for staying organized.  On each cabinet, I have a label on the door.  This not only helps me to remember where every item is located in my classroom, but if I ever have a guest teacher in my room, they are able to find the items as well.  And they also add some cuteness! :) 

Inside the cabinets, I also have my instruments labeled.  



Wooden instruments feature a red label, while metal instruments have a blue label.  Most labels also include a picture of the instruments for those students that can't quite read.  Looking for your own set of classroom instrument labels? Check out my set of classroom labels.  


This set is color-coded for the type of instrument.  Each label also includes a picture. 

Besides my small classroom instruments being labeled, I also have my xylophones labeled.  Each xylophone features soprano, alto, or bass on the instrument. 



I have a free set in my store! Click the picture to check them out!



One of my favorite features in my room are my crate seats.  These crate seats are used for storing items. They can also be quickly grabbed and used as a seat.  I label each crate and store items that I often use in my classroom.  These crates feature movement props, puppets, scarves, and masks. And of course, each crate is labeled!


 When it comes to my desk, I used a teacher toolbox to organize all of my desk supplies.  Here is a picture of my toolbox. 


Everything from Band-aids to pencils are stored in my toolbox.  Like these labels?  I have two options available in my store! It is so much easier to just look at the toolbox to find what I need, instead of digging through a desk.  

Behind my desk, I have a Copy/Grade/File three-drawer filing system.  There are many free options available on Teachers Pay Teachers.  


Instead of piling items on my desk, I stick them in one of these drawers.  I wish I could find a set of four drawers so I could add a label for "return."  For now, papers that need returned to students are stored in the "file" drawer. 

To keep my art supplies organized, I purchased shower caddies in the dollar spot at Target.  In each caddy, I have glue sticks, crayons, and scissors.  I even color-matched the scissors to the caddy.  I keep the caddies stored on my counter so they are easily accessible to students. 

By having different colors in the art caddies, I can also categorize groups by color for classroom management! For example, I may have my blue friends, or those students at the blue caddy, share an answer or perform for the class. 


#2:  Command Hooks are your best friend! 

I love to use Command Hooks in my classroom for organization. My favorite way to use Command Hooks is for storing bulletin borders.  Most people, and I was one of them, roll up the borders and stick them in a drawer.  When it comes time to use them, they do not want to lay flat.  Instead of rolling borders up in a drawer, use Command Hooks in a cabinet or closet.  


Attach hooks to cabinet or wall.  Keep borders in the plastic wrap.  Use a binder clip to clip border packaging and hand on hook. Nice and organized! 

I also use Command Hooks on my bulletin board to store dry erase markers.  I bought cheap buckets in the Target Dollar Spot.  I store the markers in the bucket and then hang on the hook.  I also used Command Hooks on my Piano Rewards bulletin board.  Similar to my marker storage, I placed the hooks on the board.  I then hooked buckets onto the hooks.  Inside the buckets, I store clothespins that have class names on them for my incentive board. You can see the buckets and Command Hooks on my bulletin board below! 



#3: Organize your planning

When it comes to having a successful year, it is important to organize your planning.  There are many resources available to help plan and organize your curriculum.  One resource that I recently purchased is Lindsay Jervis' "Ready, Set, Plan: Yearly Planning for the Elementary Music Classroom."  


In this resource, Lindsay provides everything you need to plan for a year in your classroom. This set features a yearly plan template.  My favorite part of this source is that she includes song list for each grade.  The song lists are created in an order that is developmentally appropriate for students.  Once you have a song list, the planning is much easier.  These song lists have helped organize my lesson planning to fit in a sequential order for each grade level throughout the year. 

When it comes to lesson planning, I have been using David Row's FREE lesson plan templates.  

These templates make it very easy to organize your lesson.  Each template allows you to check off the standards and focus area.  It also includes a section for materials needed, objectives, review, and assessments. My favorite part of this template is that David's includes a section for transitions.  Many times, teachers don't plan for transitions.  With this template, I am able to organize my thoughts and plans for each music lesson, including the transitions. Also, by listing the materials needed, I can quickly grab what I need prior to my students' arrival in order to be more organized in my lesson. 

#4: Use a planner

Use a planner, use a planner, use a planner! With a planner, I can plan and organize my year.  I can make reminders, lists, put in grades, and mark events.  This year, I am using an Erin Condren Teacher Planner.  I won this planner at the French Lick Blogger Meet-up.  Even though I LOVE Erin Condren's life planners, the teacher planner is pretty awesome as well.  However, it is not very suited for special area teachers.  The teacher planner features items such as classroom birthdays, grades, student information, etc.  With a class of 30 students, this is ideal.  However, when you teach over 600 students, these features are of no use.  As a result, next year, I am planning on investing in a teacher planner geared toward music teachers.  In particular, I have had my eye on The Yellow Brick Road's Editable Music Teacher Planner

This planner features a data tracking section, binder spine inserts, blank forms and checklists, calendars, class lists, contacts, desktop organizers, notes and lists, planners and schedules, resource forms and checklist, seating charts and class jobs, sub binder, and tutorials.  It is also editable and easily customizable. It is specifically designed with music teachers in mind. My favorite feature is that it has a section for you to place sticky notes.  I have sticky notes all over my desk.  This planner allows you to place the note in your planner and move your tasks from week to week.  I think this will be a great tool in organizing and planning my classroom in the future. 

Thank you for stopping by my blog in the Back-to-School Music Blog Hop.  I hope you learned some tips and strategies for classroom organization! Now on to the next stop.  Click on the picture below to visit Tracy King at Mrs. King Rocks where she will be giving tips on creating classroom resources yourself! 


Enjoy the rest of the hop!




20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I hope you enjoy using my "Ready, Set, Plan!" I LOVE all your labels. Please come organize my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! I've been storing my bulletin board border in round containers, but I love this idea too! Aren't 3-M hooks great for just about EVERYTHING? Thanks for your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I want you to come organize my room!!!! I love the ideas for hanging the borders and the storage crates!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout-out! I'm always open for suggestions with my planner, so if there's ever anything you'd like to see added, just let me know😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The classroom is really clean and organized now! I love the arrangement though! Personal Trainer

    Office Furniture Solution

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very helpful suggestions that help in the optimizing topic,Thanks for your sharing.

    หนังตลก

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the helpful information you provide to your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and test once more right here regularly.
    More at Maori Tattoos for Men and Women

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Mountain Cur is a type of working dog that is bred specifically for treeing and trailing small game, like squirrel and raccoons. The cur is a dog that stands around 18-26 inches and weighs anywhere from30 to 60 pounds depending on age, diet and gender.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this
    would be beneficial for most of the people. more at Safelite complaints number

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you do anything special to get the hooks to stay up?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Nice Art ! your creativity of impressive, Its help to decorate your home also you can add music in every room to make your home beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading the whole content of in the blog is very informative for me. Some people visited to here in the blog review is very good. With spellcaster on game sims 4 cheats brings balance to the realm or get into some mischief.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing, I use music to make ringtones. I visit Ring320kbs.com to download.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks a lot for the kind of perfect topic I have not a lot of information about it but I have got an extra unique info in your unique post. Musical Instrument Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve truly loved browsing your blog posts. KrogerFeedback Survey

    ReplyDelete
  16. There’s certainly a great deal to know about this topic. I like all the points you’ve made. 600 series Articulating Boom Lift Price

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing Post, Thank you for sharing this post really this is awesome and very useful. HSBC Bank Business Hours

    ReplyDelete
  18. There’s certainly a great deal to know about this topic. I like all the points you’ve made. More at BCF Australia complaints number

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very organized and creative. I noticed that you use hooks, I would suggest to use Classroom Hooks
    with no protruding hooks, making it one of the safest hook systems on the market. Check it out at Snughooks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is wonderful, let alone the content!
    morrisons head office complaints
    british gas head office

    ReplyDelete