Saturday, August 13, 2016

Tutorial: How to Print Life-Size Clipart at Home

While brainstorming on classroom decorations, I wanted something large, bold, and eye-catching!  I wanted a showstopper that wasn't overwhelming! After discovering the adorable Melonheadz Musical Kidlettes, I knew I wanted to put these kidlettes on my classroom walls. Here is my first kidlette I made at home! I later made 5 more :) I may have started a slight obsession in printing life-size clipart!



In the past, if I wanted a poster-size image printed, I just took it to our local print shop.  It would cost around $15 for the image.  I really didn't want to take the trip to the print shop with a baby on my hip this summer.  So instead, I started to research websites for printing poster size images.  I then discovered Blockposters.com. It. is. AMAZING! 

Here is how it works! 

1.  Find clipart or image you would like to print poster-size!  One tip: the image can not be a PNG.  Therefore, if your clipart is a PNG file, you must convert to a JPEG.  I simply convert to a JPEG through my Preview program on the Mac.  I open the PNG file and then export to a JPEG.  I am not familiar with out to do the conversion on a PC, but I am sure there is a simple way. 

2. Visit Blockposters.com

3.  Click "Get Started." 



4.  Then click, "Upload your image."  Select the image or clipart you wish to print. 


5. It will then place your image on the left side of the page with a grid over top the image. On the right side of the page you can customize your poster. Select the page width you wish to print. NOTE:  In the gray box underneath, it says the approximate dimensions of each page width.  This will be how large your actual image is going to print.  


6. Check the Terms of Use and select "Create my Poster." It will then create a download of your file. 

7.  Open the downloaded poster and print. 

8.  Once the image is printed, I laminated each sheet, then cut it out.  You may choose to cut first and then laminate.  You may also choose to cut, tape, and then laminate.  I actually laminated mine twice: I first laminated each page and then I used the school laminator to laminate the entire poster.  It all depends on the size of the image you are wishing to print/laminate. 

9. Tape pages together to create life-size poster. TIP:  Leave a small edge on some edges of the pages to make taping easier.  Laminate the entire poster to make it last longer and add durability. 

10. Hang your life-size poster and bring your room to life! 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I hope you find some amazing ways to make life-size images with this tutorial! 


18 comments:

  1. THANK YOU for sharing this info Jena!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! Did you print your picture on cardstock, or plain printer paper??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used regular paper because the laminating sheets on my home laminator is amazing! I don't ever use card stock with it! It is so thick that I don't need to waste card stock with it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! How manyn pages did you use in order to get the size of the Kidlette you're holding in your picture? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one was 2 pages wide!

      Delete
    2. I think this one was 2 pages wide!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your room is beautiful!! Have a good year. Can you share where you got the locomotor/nonlocomotor cards?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you remove the watermark? For some reason it didn't show up on the first poster I made, but it is at the bottom of the 2nd one. Did you pay the $5? Would love a free solution to this problem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized it only really looks like a problem for the one of the boy with the triangle and I think I can cut his shoe to get rid of it.

      Delete
  7. Great post! I think I'm going to give this a try for my studio. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is a very nice tutorial about printing a life size clip art. Personal Trainers in London - JDP Fitness

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first and the most important benefit of a business printing service is that it makes sure that your business gets adequately communicated. fiftyfive printed

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, your blog is very informative, thank you for posting such useful blog as it is very accurate. But i have another website with much better detail than this you must visitwww.helpadya.com Post Free Ads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice, thanks for sharing useful information
    Digital Printing

    ReplyDelete